Wikipedia definition of dance:
“Dance can be participatory, social or performed for an audience. It can also be ceremonial, competitive or erotic. Dance movements may be without significance in themselves, such as in ballet or European folk dance, or have a gestural vocabulary/symbolic system as in many Asian dances. Dance can embody or express ideas, emotions or tell a story.
Dance is also used to describe methods of non-verbal communication (see body language) between humans or animals (bee dance, patterns of behavior such as a mating dance), motion in inanimate objects (the leaves danced in the wind), and certain musical forms or genres. In sports, gymnastics, figure skating and synchronized swimming are dance disciplines while martial arts kata are often compared to dances.”
Benefits of Dancing
- increasing self-awareness, self-esteem and personal autonomy
- experiencing links between thought, feelings and actions
- releases tension and stress
- expressing and managing overwhelming feelings or thoughts
- contacting inner resources through creative movement
- initiating physical, emotional and/or cognitive release
- developing a trusting relationship when done with a partner
- enhancing social interaction skills
Put on some music and get up and dance. You will feel better and have a good time!
“Dance is the hidden language of the soul.” – Martha Graham
The origins of dance as a healing art goes back to ancient history across all cultures. Dance was seen as meditation enabling the dancer to reach altered states. Dance is used in celebrations, rituals and as creative self expression.